Daily News Archive
Daily News Subscription
Eight GSSA Awards Presented at Royal Randwick
David Merrick’s brace of awards at the 2019 Godolphin Stud and Stable Staff Awards (GSSSA) – see above – were two of eight overall awards presented at Randwick on Friday from a record list of 150 nominees from every Australian state and territory representing every area of the industry. Each of the winners received a trophy and a cash prize of $10,000 with $3,000 to share among fellow workers. Each runner-up each received $1,000, aside from The Newcomer Award, who received $5,000 plus $3,000 to fellow workers, plus an all-expenses paid trip to Dubai. The runner-up received $1,000. The Thoroughbred Excellence Award winner received a trophy and $5,000 in addition to their prize for winning their category, plus an additional $2,000 to fellow workers. The GSSSA, sponsored by Godolphin and partners throughout the industry and convened by Racing Australia and Thoroughbred Breeders Australia, aims to recognise and reward those who work in all areas of the thoroughbred racing and breeding industry. Excludind Merrick’s Thoroughbred Excellence Award, the full list of general award winners chosen by a panel of industry leaders was:
- Dedication to Breeding: David Merrick (Widden Stud). Runner-up: Stephanie Mitchell (Mungrup Stud).
- Dedication to Racing: Steve Adams (Anthony Freedman Racing). Runner-Up: Michael Shepherdson (McEvoy Mitchell Racing)
- Leadership: David White (Vinery Stud). Runner-up: Simon Johnson (Godolphin)
- Horsemanship: Warren Sutton (McEvoy Mitchell Racing). Runner-up: Nigel Bentley (Arrowfield Stud)
- Administration: Cecelia O’Gorman (Thoroughbred Breeders Australia). Runner-up: Susan Willis (Yulong Investments)
- Thoroughbred Care and Welfare: Lindy Thewlis (self-employed). Runner-up: Fiona McIntrye (self-employed)
- Newcomer: Talia Cranfield (Godolphin). Runner-Up: Alyssa Pickels (Kitchwin Hills Stud).