Daily News Archive

Search nearly 75,000 unique Daily News articles.

Daily News Subscription

Controversial DQ Costs Punter US$1.6M

Thursday, 27th February 2014

Thursday Odd-Spot: In horse racing, a win isn't a win, until the race is declared official, and stewards have the power to disqualify a horse if it is deemed to have won unfairly. Such was the case in the 12th race at Gulfstream Park, Florida, on Saturday, when 15-1 shot Collinito crossed the line first only to be subsequently disqualified and relegated to second for causing interference to the second-place finisher, Strategic Keeper, reports linemakers.sportingnews.com. On any other day this would hardly be newsworthy, but for one unlucky punter the interjection of the stewards prevented him from collecting an enormous winning payout of US$1.66 million. If Collinito had won race 12, it would have triggered a payoff in Gulfstream's "Rainbow 6" wager, a 20 cent minimum bet that pays out when just one ticket has the winners in six consecutive races designated by the track. If multiple tickets have six winners, or if no one picks six, 30 percent of the day's Pick 6 wagers carry over to the next racing day, with the other 70 per cent paid out in consolation tickets. As a result of the disqualification there were six winners on Saturday who each received US$36,659.22 for a 20 cent investment.

« Previous
Return to
27th February 2014 News
Next »