Daily News Archive

Search nearly 75,000 unique Daily News articles.

Daily News Subscription

UK Quarantine Problem Deepens

Tuesday, 12th July 2011

Trainers at England's leading training centre “could be asked to vacate stables to accommodate the quarantine needs of Caulfield & Melbourne Cups raiders” reported The Herald-Sun. In “the latest twist to the quarantine crisis, it appears the only solution would be to transfer some Newmarket-trained horses so they are at least 100m from quarantined Cups horses trained by Luca Cumani & others”. While “unwieldy & requiring support of trainers without horses bound for Melbourne”, Racing Victoria chief executive Rob Hines said the “evacuation plan was one of few options”. Last week Cumani said his Cups raid (he has up to 4 candidates) would be off unless Australian quarantine officials “scrapped plans to relocate the quarantine facility at Newmarket” & “demanded the old site be reinstated within a fortnight”. Hines told the newspaper the crisis “would be sorted out within days”, but conceded “resolution would not be easy” noting: “It's possible we will ask that stables nearby (to the Cups horses) be empty for 3 weeks.” He said new walkways (where potential Australian raiders could keep a safe distance from non-raiders) “would probably have to be created”. Hines admitted established quarantine facilities at Newmarket & Ballydoyle in Ireland “had been in breach of quarantine regulations” & confirmed an Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service audit of the facilities this year “had discovered the sites had been in breach of protocol for 6 years”.

« Previous
Return to
12th July 2011 News
Next »